July 22, 2020
Launch NY #InvestLocal Opportunities for $10k+ Investors Ends July 31
Buffalo, NY, July 22, 2020 – The deadline to participate in the latest round of investment opportunities for innovative startup companies in Upstate New York though Launch NY’s Investor Network, the first on-demand digital investment community featuring Launch NY’s portfolio companies across industries throughout the western half of the state, is July 31. This new round follows Launch NY’s recent closing on four investments totaling $135,000, including a Qualified Opportunity Fund, in companies such as EagleHawk One, Inc. and 3AM Innovations, LLC from the Investor Network, which was introduced in the latter half of 2019. During this pilot phase for the Investor Network, there is no cost to sign up and no obligation to invest through the end of the year.
“Despite the challenges to many small businesses right now, our high-growth, high-impact startups are finding significant demand among both investors and customers who want to be a part of supporting and using products that respond to needs to make our environment, ourselves, and our economy healthier and more productive,” said Dr. Marnie LaVigne, President and CEO of Launch NY, Upstate New York’s first and only venture development organization to provide pro bono mentoring and the most active seed fund in New York State to high-growth startups across the 27 westernmost counties of the state. “Our Investor Network provides a one-of-a-kind opportunity for investors to put their capital to work right here in their own backyard.”
Accredited investors can access Launch NY’s newest #InvestLocal financing program to support local startups with the convenience of having a trusted source of deal flow, investment leadership, and portfolio management by Launch NY’s robust mentorship and investment infrastructure that has served over 1,100 companies since 2012. Funders can invest as little as $10,000 in the companies that are listed on the Investor Network, all organized and supported by Launch NY.
The six new companies Launch NY is introducing into the Investor Network are:
- BetterMynd – A Buffalo-based company committed to improving the mental health of college students, BetterMynd provides teletherapy and additional counseling resources, thereby giving students more access to help they need while reducing the strain on colleges’ limited on-campus resources. The company recently relocated from Rochester to Buffalo’s Seneca One Tower.
- Continual Care Solutions – A Rochester-based software company that is specifically focused on providing solutions and resources to organizations that serve the at-risk and vulnerable. Their imPowr platform is specifically designed for non-profit organizations, bringing together data into a single integrated database, thereby making them more efficient, effective, and prepared for future challenges.
- Ellicottville Greens – A Buffalo-based company that utilizes the latest trends and innovations, Ellicottville Greens grows microgreens, leafy greens, and herbs in an indoor controlled environment for resale to both consumers and businesses, providing Western New York with locally sourced, organic, and chemical-free produce throughout the year.
- Gian – A Rochester-based company, Gian is transforming the grocery shopping experience by giving consumers tools to identify the right foods at grocery stores through Healthcart, a software platform and app that helps consumers make better food choices based on their individual health needs, medications, and more.
- Re-Nuble – A Rochester-based company, Re-Nuble is a Minority and Women Owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) certified agtech company that uniquely converts food waste into fertilizers that return to the farm for 100 percent closed loop agriculture. It diverts food waste from entering landfills, nearly eliminating the polluting methane emissions that would otherwise emit for months.
- Walkabout Workplace – A Buffalo-based company offering a digital workplace or digital office for people who work remotely, Walkabout Workplace enables business agility through engaged teams, the result of which is lower attrition and higher profitability. Walkabout Workplace turns every home into an office, a school, a co-working space, an exhibit hall, and a marketplace supporting the needs of today’s remote operations.
The following 11 companies featured in previous rounds hosted on the Network are also available to investors:
- 3AM Innovations
- 3D Usher
- EagleHawk One
- Material Exchange
- Patient Pattern
- The Perfect Granola
Accredited investors can directly access detailed due diligence information about all the Investor Network companies when they join the community of nearly 100 investors forecasted to grow to 300 by the end of 2020. Accredited investors are encouraged to learn more about the Investor Network or sign up for free at https://launchny.org/investors/investor-network/.
The site is mobile-friendly, making it possible to access information, learn more about the companies, and ultimately invest from anywhere in the world from the convenience of a laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
The Investor Network is part of Launch NY’s #InvestLocal financing programs, which also includes its Nonprofit Seed Fund and for-profit Limited Partner (LP) Fund. Founded in 2016, Launch NY’s Seed Fund is fueled by grants and donations (most notably from the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation and U.S. Department of Treasury CDFI Fund) and provides $25,000 to $100,000 in investment capital to companies that meet its investment criteria. Launch NY has invested over $3 million in Upstate New York startups, with returns feeding back to the fund to support investments in future startups in what is known as an “evergreen cycle.”
Launch NY’s for-profit Limited Partner (LP) Fund debuted in 2019 and is designed to co-invest alongside Launch NY’s nonprofit Seed Fund, ultimately doubling the capital available for Launch NY client companies. The LP Fund is already invested in 33 companies since its first close 18 months ago, and has provided its first return of capital to investors.
LaVigne said now is the time for investors to realize the powerful impact they can have with these investment opportunities that allow them to do well financially while doing good, a dynamic that is particularly heightened by a desire to help in response to the COVID-19 crisis.
“The sheer number of startups, the diversity of the industries they represent and unique voids they fill, combined with the low investment threshold, sign-up fee waiver, and on-the-go convenience mean that now is the perfect time to get on board and see firsthand how many raindrops can create a river of change,” said LaVigne.
For more information about Launch NY, its programs, and other entrepreneurial opportunities, visit www.launchny.org and follow Launch NY on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.